Commis Chef Cover Letter
Commis Chefs are responsible for food preparation and ensuring kitchen profitability. These professionals usually work under the supervision of a chef de partie and move from one section to another. Examples of Commis Chef duties include: adhering to hygiene standards, preparing ingredients for senior chefs, portioning sizes, maintaining food stocks, updating their knowledge of recipes and preparation techniques, finding ways to reduce waste, and keeping the working area clean and organized.
Our collection of Commis Chef cover letters reveals the following job requirements:
- Culinary skills
- Passion for cooking
- Stamina and resilience
- Being able to work under pressure
- Time management and multitasking
- Knowledge of food hygiene standards
- Culinary or catering training
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
The sample cover letter below displays relevant Commis Chef skills and experience.
For help with your resume, check out our extensive Commis Chef Resume Samples.
Dear Mr. Kinnison:
Upon review of your posting for a Commis Chef to come on board your team at Les Foutaines, I felt compelled to submit my resume for your consideration. As a recent graduate from the New York School of Culinary Arts, combined with my commitment to team collaboration and outstanding customer service, I would significantly benefit your restaurant in this capacity.
With my rigorous educational background, I am prepared to excel in this entry-level chef position with your establishment and acquire comprehensive experience in food preparation and general kitchen operations. My outstanding work ethic and my commitment to culinary excellence is certain to make me an immediate asset to your senior chef team. Furthermore, my additional strengths in communication and organization prepare me to thrive in this challenging position and make a strong contribution to the success of your restaurant.
Please consider the following highlights of my qualifications:
- Graduated in the top 10% of my class at the New York School of Culinary Arts in May of 2016.
- Poised to excel in accomplishing a wide range of tasks assigned by senior chefs, including storing and preparing produce, dairy, meat, fish, poultry, and shellfish.
- Acquired hands-on experience in preparing, plating, and serving hors d’oeuvres, salads, entrees, and dessert courses.
- Strong focus on upholding all food safety and sanitary regulations to ensure across-the-board compliance.
- Excelled in previous career as a Caterer, expanding this start-up business by 11% within first nine months of business launch through excellent cooking, marketing, and interpersonal talents.
- Possess a superb ability to get along well with diverse personalities and collaborate effectively toward the achievement of common goals.
With my education and experience, coupled with my enthusiasm and dedication to achieving success, I could swiftly surpass your expectations as your next Commis Chef. I look forward to discussing the position in further detail. Thank you for your consideration.
Myra R. Rickett
Cover Letter and Resume Examples for Cooks
If you're applying for a job as a cook, your job application should emphasize your experience in food services along with any credentials and education. In your resume and cover letter, it's also a good idea to highlight cooking-related skills, such as attention to detail, customer service skills, the ability to flourish in a fast-paced environment, and more.
Below, you'll find a example of a cook's resume and cover letter.
Use these two documents for inspiration while creating your own resume and cover letter.
Cook Cover Letter Example
Review this example of a cook cover letter below. For more help with your cover letter, review formatting tips, additional cover letter examples.
Your City, State, Zip Code
Your Phone Number
City, State, Zip Code
Dear Mr./Ms. Last Name,
I am applying for the job of cook at XYZ Hospital.
You specify that you are looking for someone with cooking experience and customer service skills. My skills and experience make me an ideal candidate for the position.
I have been working in the culinary industry for seven years. For the past three years, I have served as a short-order cook at XYZ Diner. I am therefore comfortable preparing meals quickly and efficiently - a necessary skill in a busy hospital cafeteria. I have also served in other capacities in restaurants; I began as a dishwasher, and then spent three years as a line cook at XYZ fast food restaurant.
I would be comfortable performing a variety of tasks in the cafeteria.
You state that applicants should have strong customer service skills. As a short-order cook, I constantly interact with customers; I serve customers seated at the bar, and know how to maintain a positive report with customers. In fact, I received the award for "Employee of the Month" four times at XYZ Diner, due in large part to my customer service skills.
I am confident that my experience and skills will make me a valuable member of the XYZ Hospital culinary team. I have enclosed my resume and will call within the week to see if we might arrange a time to speak together. Thank you so much for your time and consideration.
Signature (if hard copy)
Cook Resume Example
The following is a resume example for a cook. This resume includes work experience in the food industry, even work experiences that did not necessarily involve cooking. It also contains personal information and education sections.
Note how this resume quantifies information wherever possible. Using numbers — such as customers served, people supervised, training hours, etc. — helps make your accomplishments clear to potential employers. This resume does not include a summary section or a skills section, but those are two optional sections you can consider adding to your resume. Here is more information on how to write a resume.
123 Main Street, Albany, NY 12242
Short-Order Cook, XYZ Diner, Albany, NY
- Cook and serve breakfast, lunch, and dinner to over 200 customers daily
- Developed new recipe for breakfast sandwich; became one of the most popular menu items
- Awarded Employee of the Month four times due to customer service and culinary skills
Line Cook, XYZ Fast Food Restaurant, New York City, NY
September 20XX-May 20XX
- Prepared meals for customers in efficient, timely manner
- Followed recipes and presentation specifications as set by restaurant management
- Cleaned and maintained station following latest hygiene standards
- Dishwasher, XYZ College Cafeteria, New York City, NY
September 20XX- September 20XX
- Responsible for ensuring dishes were washed efficiently to guarantee timely customer service
- Trained fifteen incoming employees on operating techniques for washing equipment
- Performed prep work (chopping, assembling sandwiches) when cooks required assistance
XYZ University, May 20XX
Certificate in the Culinary Arts
- Received over 200 hours of hands-on training on topics ranging from basic cooking skills to menu planning to kitchen hygiene and safety
XYZ College, May 20XX
Bachelor of Arts